Category Archives: Activities

CGNE Neighborhood Association Meeting April 22, 2019

Campbell-Grant
NE Neighborhood Association Meeting

April 22,
2019, Ward III office

 

Attendance: James Croxen, Chris Janton, Cindy Sorrensen, Sally Rein’l-Bautista, Mark Rein’l-Bautista, Robert Mitchell, Vicki Mills, Jim Sauer, Ana Maria Lopez Medrano, Brian Silverstein.

Announcements: 

Our meetings are the 4th Monday of the month, usually this is the last Monday of the month as well, but not always.  Our meetings are on the calendar on our website, as our the meeting minutes, at: https://www.cgne-tucson.org/

Brian received a letter in the mail from Culinary Dropout
explaining that they are expanding their parking area to the east of their
current lot. The letter announced a meeting on this topic for those interested
at the Dropout on Monday, April 29 at 5:30.

The Ward III Shred-it Event was the past Saturday.

Old Business:

Update on
formation of committees – Cindy Sorrensen

·      
Cindy sent out emails about the possible
formation of two new committees – one to explore changing the name of the
neighborhood and one to explore historic designation for the neighborhood.  She received two responses about the name change – Brian and Sally, who were both at the meeting.  They can decide if they want to pursue this idea. There is a financial and time burden for changing our name that will involve changing boundaries signs, printed materials, bank account names, etc. 

·      
Cindy received no responses about the historic
status.

Historic
Status Designation – Update

·      
There are different categories in which the
neighborhood could qualify; our neighborhood needs to identify which category
is viable for us.

·      
The Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) is
an entity that provides grants to help to apply for historic status. There may
not be grants available.

·      
More than 50% if the properties in the defined
neighborhood area should qualify for historic status. The area does not have to
be the whole neighborhood.

·      
If the neighborhood wants to pursue a
preliminary assessment, we should contact Jody Brown from the Historic Preservation
Office to visit our neighborhood. Another option is to look for advice from
Tucson Historic Preservation Foundation.

·      
It is a lot of work to pursue historic status
and probably not possible without professional help.   It will involve money and time from neighbors.  There seems to be little interest in this in the neighborhood.

Treasurer
Report – Vicki Mills

·      
The balance in the bank is $1,541.82.

·      
A reminder about voluntary dues will be send
several times during the year. Members of the neighborhood can pay dues during
picnic or any other time. Dues are a yearly donation to pay for neighborhood
events.

New Business:

Donation to Lend A Hand — Vicki Mills made a motion for our
neighborhood association to make a donation of $100.00 to Lend a Hand. All
members approved the donation.

Changing Meeting Frequency — There was a discussion about how often we should meet – monthly, bi-monthly, or quarterly.  We decided to continue to meet monthly, with reminders about the meeting sent the week before.  However, the May meeting would be on Memorial Day, so our next scheduled meeting will be in June 24th at 6pm at Ward III office.

Miscellaneous:

Grant Road Expansion: They meet the 4th Tuesday of the month at the Ward III office.

Transportation Improvement – Public meeting in May

Minutes
by Ana Maria Lopez Medrano, Secretary

 

Steve K’s Newsletter 04/22/19 | Official website of the City of Tucson

Steve K’s Newsletter 04/22/19 | Official website of the City of Tucson:

Topics in this issue…
Be Kind
Migrants at the Monastery
Border Barrier Project
Monastery Development
National Register of Historic Places (NRHP)
Broadway Overlay
Wildlife Killing Contests
John B. Wright Career Fair
Neighborhood Block Parties
ERA Resolution
Local First
Young Girls and Jazz
Mueller Report
Events & Entertainment

Paul’s Note: Friday, April 19th, 2019 | Official website of the City of Tucson

Paul’s Note: Friday, April 19th, 2019 | Official website of the City of Tucson:

Paul’s Note
Friday, April 19th, 2019

Paul’s Note

Pet of the Week

Ward 3 Events

Ward 3 Neighborhood Association/Coalition Meetings

City-Wide Events

Did You Know?

A handy weekly note from Tucson City Councilperson Paul Durham – Ward 3.

Minutes – Campbell Grant Annual Neighborhood Meeting – February 25, 2019

Campbell Grant Annual
Neighborhood Meeting – February 25th, 2019

 

In Attendance – Brian Silverstein, Cindy Sorrensen, Robert
Mitchell, Vicki Mills, Ana Lopez Medrano, Kris Teran, Chris Janton, Margo
Geddis, Michael Geddis

 Guest: Matt Kopec (Ward 3)

 Approved minutes from January 26th 2019 meeting

 Review agenda

 Treasurer Report Balance as of 1/26/2019 was $1,450.52. There were $129.59 expenses for the Valentine’s Breakfast. The new balance as of 2/25/2019 is $1,320.93. There has not been any money coming in from the neighborhood dues. Neighbors can pay their dues by PayPal using the neighborhood page. Dues are a recommended donation of $15 annually. A reminder to pay dues will be sent through the neighborhood email and the newsletter soon. Neighbors pay dues on a yearly basis voluntarily. Usually people pay during the neighborhood picnic, but they can pay any time.

 Update on streetwalker and
package for New Neighbors.
The New Neighbor letter is finished and has been added to the New Neighbor packet. Street representatives will distribute New Neighbor packets and door hangers that contain useful email contacts for inquiries about the neighborhood. Kris asks neighbors to contact her if they live near a house for rent, for sale or in which a new resident just moved in, so that she can provide the info to the street representative or deliver the packet herself.

 Newsletter update: We need to update the Newsletter on the webpage. Newsletter will be published quarterly.

 Valentine pancake breakfast
update:
Between 15 to 20 people attended the event. The plan is to hold the Valentine Pancake breakfast every year.

 Spring activities in the
planning:
A roll off container will be reserved in April for neighborhood disposal of big items or yard material. Brian will contact the city to arrange for it. Some neighbors talked about using goats to do alley clean up. Neighbors that share alley could share the fees if they want to use that service. 
There will be no picnic during the spring this year. The
neighborhood will continue with the fall picnic that happens during the month
of November.

Historical Neighborhood Status: There needs to be a committee to explore eligibility, draw boundaries and find out costs. The Historical Preservation Office can provide information about the cost and process to became a Historical neighborhood. A suggestion is to invite Jodie Brown for a walk of the neighborhood to explore the possibilities. Email Brian if interested in historical status committee.

The neighborhood also needs representatives for the following
committees: a) Linear park beautification, b) Safety, and c) Name changing
committee.

 

New Business:

There is a eucalyptus tree with dying branches in Conner Park that
seems dangerous. Some neighbors have called and the tree is in the list to be
cut. Park services are behind in responding to calls, but it will happen.

Some neighbors have complained about college age people using the
baseball area designated to kids under – 12 and hitting baseballs hard. There
needs to be new signs in that area to avoid these issues.

Cindy will send an email to ask for volunteers for the Name Changing
committee. Changing the name has costs attached that need to be discussed and
considered.

Michael Geddis volunteered to distribute door hangers. We need more
neighbors on the email list.

Ward 3 Representative: Neighbors had called to complain about the
tall fence in the corner property of Glenn and Olsen. They said is a problem
for drivers because it blocks their view of incoming traffic. Matt Kopec said
he would look into it.

The water line on Copper is under repair as of February 25th 2019.

 

Meetings are the 4th Monday of the month. Next meeting March 25th.

Meeting Minutes for August 2018

CGNE Meeting
8/27/18 at 6 PM. Ward 3 Office

Minutes

In attendance:  Bill, Jana, Chris, Colleen, Steve, Vicki, Robert, Sunshine, Matt, Cindy, Beverly

Special Guests:  Joe Gradias, Tucson Police Department, Carlos de Latorre, City of Tucson

Review of Minutes

Treasurer’s Report

Revenue – $100 dues and donations
Expenses – 0
Balance as of 8/27/18       $1,205.76

Environmental Services – Carlos de Latorre
Enhanced Brush and Bulky Program – want to stop the door hangers, replaced by a letter that tells the brush and bulky dates for the year, you can still call or check map online.  They are trying to promote an app for your phones.  More info at tucsonaz.gov/esd
They are trying to get together with Tucson Dept. of Transportation, code enforcement and graffiti .

Sweetwater facility open on Friday from 8-2:30 for hazardous waste.  Other locations can be found on the website

791-3171 tucsonaz.gov/neat-neighbor to pick up illegal dumping within 24 hours

Six ways to be a good neighbor handout
Trim Weeds and grass below 6”, keep your half of the alley and easement clean
Limit or screen outside storage – limit storage to 25% of your total lot
Store and screen junk vehicles, must be stored in a garage/carport, be behind a legal barrier or covered by a vehicle cover designed to cover the car
Trim encroaching plants
Stop illegal dumping
Clean up with brush and bulky

Free Library needs kids books – we are ordering a dog poop-bag holder for the little library on Plumer so hopefully people will clean up after their dogs

Door Hangers – going out the end of September,  Bill will print them up and get them to the streetwalkers

October – Declutter month, CGNE will provide prizes for the declutter bingo game that will be sent out in late September along with all the rules for the month.

November 3rd – Sabuku T-shirt sale and craft fair –  if you are an artisan that is interested in being in this event let me know.  Colleen 577-4543.  This venue gets a large turnout, and has been getting bigger each year.  It will be held at the International School.

Picnic in the Park / Friendsgiving  Nov. 11th, Sunday in the Park from 11-1  /. CGNE will provide the Turkey, gravy and stuffing.  The rest will be potluck.

Caroling in the park, December 15th – Bill will talk to Greg to see if he can play the guitar for the event

Christmas Bazaar – December 1st at Ward 3.  We are looking for venders from the neighborhood and nearby.  We have a couple of other neighborhoods that will be doing this event with us.

Wilson wash – get someone to be in charge of calling and a pick up committee.  Bill talked to Matt Kopec about making sure that the wash is on the list to be mowed.

Dog/cat Accessory Swap or Flea Market – September 29th, Saturday, 8:30 am
Bring your old pet toys, collars, leashes, crates, dog bowls etc.to sale, trade or give away.
There will be a dog trainer and dog sitter there.  Custom dog biscuits for sale.
Free coffee and donuts

TPD Ofcr. Joe Gradias has a monthly opportunity to learn about Dog Walkers Watch.

Sunshine Turner came from Devereux to talk about the facility on Norris and Spring, she is writing an article for the newsletter

 

We need several volunteers to do small jobs:

Techno person for layout of door hangers, city newsletter

Social Media person – to post events

Poster makers – to advertise events

Wilson wash – to call Tucson Dept of Transportation when the wash needs to be mowed

City stuff – Grant road coalition

Help write newsletter – write articles for the paper, or help in general

Little libraries – need revamping, sanding and painting

Roll Off – Environmental Services – call twice a year to arrange the roll offs