Minutes: Campbell-Grant NE Neighborhood Association Meeting – July 22, 2019, Ward III office

Campbell-Grant
NE Neighborhood Association Meeting

July 22,
2019, Ward III office

 

Attendance:  Andy Laurenzi, Kris Teran, Humberto Teran, Georgia O’Neill, Kathy Damstra, Sally Rein’l-Bautista, John Lundberg, James Croxen, Andrew Messer, Leilani Bew, Chris Janton, Brian Silverstein

Guests:  Paul Durham, Ward III Councilperson and Matt Kopec, Ward III Staff member, Ofc. Joseph Gradias – Tucson Police Department: (520)484-3488

We began the meeting
with an interactive discussion with Paul Durham about a variety of topics
:

·       Many of us received a flyer in the mail today.
It is protesting a medical marijuana dispensary.  Durham said the flyer was paid for by a competing dispensary and he went over the arguments in the flyer and explained why they are misleading.

·      
Self-taxing
improvement zones – This is not a new idea.  It’s been around for a long time, but not often used.  However, it has been used by our neighborhood to pay for sidewalks on Water Street 20 or so years ago.  State law dictates these improvement projects must be capital improvements – crosswalk lights, curbs, sidewalks – not maintenance, like road repair.  The area (zone) can be defined locally and it takes 51% of tax parcels and 51% of total valuation of the defined area to approve a project. The question was asked if the city could redefine the improvements for these improvement projects to include street repair.  Durham didn’t think this was possible.  He is also not sure why this idea is being brought up now.  This issue will be on the Aug 6 City Council meeting agenda.  There is a study session before the meeting and the 5:30 meeting – both are open to the public. 

·      
Durham announced that the city will be raising
the legal age to buy cigarettes and e-cigarettes from 18 to 21.

·      
Durham has spoken with the manager of Prep and
Pastry and the manager would like to come to a neighborhood meeting to talk
about any issues with the restaurant. 
They want to be good neighbors. 
Durham said the manager talked about sending out gift coupons to neighbors (which has not happened yet). 
We discussed seeing if we could meet in the meeting room at Prep & Pastry sometime.

·      
Questions were asked about money for residential
streets –  there is money (40% of Prop 101 money was for residential streets) but not enough to take care of all the streets in the city. During the recession money for public safety, streets, etc. was cut and, while Tucson is coming back from the recession, our economy is not as strong yet as most of the rest of the country (sixty percent of Tucson’s revenue come from sales tax). So, the city has a huge backlog of needs – street repair and other things — and not enough money to take care of everything. 

·      
We also discussed the proposed bicycle path on
Copper Street, solar power for Ward offices and other city buildings, and the
Complete Streets proposal.  It was clear that we could have discussed city issues with the Councilman for much longer, but we ran out of time.

Review/Approval of
April Minutes:
The minutes were
approved with the addition of a sentence about Sally Rein’l Bautista reporting
that the bathroom in Conner Park needs repairing, patching and painting inside
and out.  The Parks Department will be notified. 

Treasurer Report – Vicki Mills – The neighborhood association has $1,499 in the bank.  There are 17 households that have paid dues so far in 2019.

Historical Status: Nothing has been done about this since the
last meeting.  Andy Laurenzi said it would take $15,000 to $20,000 to do a formal report/application for historical status.  There are probably parts of our neighborhood that could get historical status, but a project like this takes someone to lead it – someone who is passionate about it and who has the time to meet with neighbors and move the project along. 
Brian will contact Jodie Brown, the city’s Historical Preservation Officer, to see if she can attend a neighborhood meeting and also possibly walk our neighborhood with an eye towards historical status.

Miscellaneous:

Scams in
neighborhood
– Officer
Gradias asked if anyone present had experienced or knew of others who experienced
people going door to door to try to scam or get money. This has been talked
about on NextDoor recently.  Report any activity of this nature to the police.

Picnic — We need to set up a committee to plan
the annual picnic in November.  Vicki will put out a request for volunteers to join the committee. 

Park Fest — There was a question about doing the
Park Fest again this year. We will put out a request for volunteers for a
committee to plan this event.  This will determine if there is interest in doing this event. 

Newsletter – The city will pay for once a year mailing
of a 4-page newsletter or postcard for each neighborhood.   We would like to do a newsletter but would need one or more volunteers to help put this together.  We would like to mail it by end of September/beginning of October, so that notice of the picnic could go to everyone. 

The next meeting
will be August 26 at 6pm in Ward III office.

Minutes submitted
by Vicki Mills.

Leave a Reply