Minutes: Campbell-Grant NE Neighborhood Association Meeting – June 24th, 2019, Ward III office

Campbell-Grant NE Neighborhood Association Meeting

June 24th, 2019, Ward III office

 

Attendance: Cindy Sorrensen, Sally Rein’l-Bautista, Mark Rein’l-Bautista, Chris Janton, Ana Maria Lopez Medrano, Vicki Mills, Robert Mitchell, Cathy Rex, James Croxen, Kris Teran, Andy Albises, Leilani Bew, and Georgia O’Neill (a new  neighbor)

Guest:  Joseph Gradias – Tucson Police Department: (520)484-3488

Review/Approval of April Minutes: Chris made a motion to approve the minutes from April. Robert seconded and everyone agreed to approve it.

Treasurer Report – Vicki Mills

The neighborhood has $1,456.82

There hasn’t been much activity in receiving neighborhood dues, only one neighbor paid dues since last meeting.  So far this year only 14 homeowners have paid their dues. By the end of 2018, 39 homeowners paid their dues. Members of the neighborhood can pay dues during November picnic or any other time. Dues are a yearly donation to pay for neighborhood events. 
(Three members paid at the meeting.)

Central Segment: Officer Gradias report

Tucson Police department has a new trial program, 10 officers working in pairs for six months in the parks.  After they finish their trial period, they have the option to continue working in the department. At this time these officers are patrolling Tucson parks to keep them safe. They assess complaints and issues that neighborhoods bring to the police department attention. They have been patrolling Conner Park. They do not carry guns or Tasers. They are trained to identify dangerous situation and request back up from the police department.

One car was stolen during the night. Officer Gradias reminds neighbors to keep doors and windows shut. Do not
leave car running while going back inside their home.

Keep eye on empty houses or houses for rent. In the South side there have been instances in which juveniles broke
into empty houses and threw parties. They arrested one juvenile with a stolen
car that was used for highjacking. Social media is a source of information that
lets people know when a house is unoccupied. So it is important to keep eyes
open for suspicious activities in empty properties.

On another note, there have been reports of Sheriff department imposters. They tell people that they are under
warrant and they ask for money or gift cards. Hackers can use technology to
call and their number looks like a legit government telephone number. There
have also been reports from people who receive telephone scams from Mexico. Use
a secret word with your family to identify yourselves to avoid a scam phone
call.  Remove personal information that you don’t want to share in Google.

There was a break in Norris. The use of surveillance systems has been useful to protect homes or to identify
burglars. Is important to know your neighbors and look after each other. In
case of break ins, try to preserve the crime scene intact so that police can
retrieve evidence such as fingerprints and DNA samples that can be used later
to apprehend criminals.

Non-emergency reporting can be done by calling or visiting any police substation listed below between
8:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. 

Tucson Police Department Main Station 270 South Stone Avenue 520-791-4444 (all year)

Operations Division West 1310 West Miracle Mile Road, Tucson, Arizona 85705

Lobby Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.  7 days a week (excluding holidays) 520-791-4467

Operations Division Midtown 1100 South Alvernon Way, Tucson, Arizona 85711

Lobby Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.  7 days a week (excluding holidays) 520-791-4253

Central Segment Safety is June 25th. This is a meeting that happens monthly. Police officer will discuss and answer questions about how to protect your home and what to do if you have been victimized. Stolen items can be search at Foundrop.com. It is important to register the serial number of possessions and have photographs of other items in order to locate them.

Historical Status: No updates. Brian will contact Jody Brown from the Historical Preservation Office.

Culinary Dropout parking lot expansion: Cathy Rex attended the April meeting and reported that they are expanding their parking area to the east of their current lot. On May 15th they rezoned the area for parking only, it won’t be use for commercial use.

Fence on Olsen and Glenn:  There was a complaint about the fence, but it has been approved. However Cathy Rex did more research about the fence and has reopened the case because it is a violation due to the impairing the view incoming traffic on Glenn. The case may be reopened. The inspector and reviewer were lax when approving the fence.

The Linear Park Steering Committee is comprised of neighborhood representatives and city council. During their meetings they discuss projects and what will happen during the Grant Road construction. Monthly meetings: GRANT ROAD COALITION – ​Central Segments Meeting Schedule 4th Tuesdays of the month 5:30 pm  * WARD 3 Office * ​1510 E Grant Road

New Business:

Self-taxing districts is a proposed policy being considered by the city council. This policy would allow neighborhoods to self-tax and use the money to improve streets. Paul Durham will attend the next neighborhood meeting (July 22nd) to talk about this policy. Vicki will send an email with an article that talks about this proposal for neighbors to read about and bring questions to the July meeting.

Brush and Bulky:  Week of July 15th. Neighbors can request support to clean alley by alerting the city in advance of the clean up. The city has been working in cleaning some alleys due to installation of fiber optic in Wilson and Plumer.

Neighborhood Picnic: will happen in November. There needs to be a committee. We also need a grill and way to transport it to the park. More discussion will take place in the August neighborhood meeting.

Miscellaneous:

            The neighborhood used to have a Garden Club and the idea of participating in a community garden to share a plot was brought up. Need to find out if people are interested and more about the locations of community gardens. Cathy Rex will organize a prickly pear fruit-harvesting event soon; expect an email with more details.

 

           Sally Rein’l Bautista brought up the issue of the bathroom at Conner Park needing repairs inside and patching of walls and painting inside and outside. Parks and Rec will be informed but they have a backlog of work. In addition the grass at the park does not look good. Neighbor in attendance shared that the grass is been watered regularly.

            This will be the procedure to announce our monthly meeting: Brian will develop an agenda and send it out a week before the meeting, asking for additional agenda items. Cindy will send an email reminder. Brian (or someone designated by Brian) will get the key to access the Ward III meeting room.

            Chris Janton announced that Ken Tower has repaired our little libraries. There was an email to request children books. The little library at Conner Park needs books for children. Sue (don’t know last name) and Robert Mitchell take care of little libraries. Bookmans and Friends of the Library can provide free books for our libraries.

            Kris Teran is managing the new homeowners packets.  The newsletter has not been updated and therefore it will be removed from the packets. Kris  has distributed some packets to new neighbors or to neighborhood representative who have requested them.

Next Neighborhood meeting – 6:00 P.M. July 22th, 2019 – Ward 3 Office

 

Leave a Reply