Tag Archives: meetings

Minutes: Campbell-Grant NE Neighborhood Association Meeting – June 24th, 2019, Ward III office

Campbell-Grant NE Neighborhood Association Meeting

June 24th, 2019, Ward III office

 

Attendance: Cindy Sorrensen, Sally Rein’l-Bautista, Mark Rein’l-Bautista, Chris Janton, Ana Maria Lopez Medrano, Vicki Mills, Robert Mitchell, Cathy Rex, James Croxen, Kris Teran, Andy Albises, Leilani Bew, and Georgia O’Neill (a new  neighbor)

Guest:  Joseph Gradias – Tucson Police Department: (520)484-3488

Review/Approval of April Minutes: Chris made a motion to approve the minutes from April. Robert seconded and everyone agreed to approve it.

Treasurer Report – Vicki Mills

The neighborhood has $1,456.82

There hasn’t been much activity in receiving neighborhood dues, only one neighbor paid dues since last meeting.  So far this year only 14 homeowners have paid their dues. By the end of 2018, 39 homeowners paid their dues. Members of the neighborhood can pay dues during November picnic or any other time. Dues are a yearly donation to pay for neighborhood events. 
(Three members paid at the meeting.)

Central Segment: Officer Gradias report

Tucson Police department has a new trial program, 10 officers working in pairs for six months in the parks.  After they finish their trial period, they have the option to continue working in the department. At this time these officers are patrolling Tucson parks to keep them safe. They assess complaints and issues that neighborhoods bring to the police department attention. They have been patrolling Conner Park. They do not carry guns or Tasers. They are trained to identify dangerous situation and request back up from the police department.

One car was stolen during the night. Officer Gradias reminds neighbors to keep doors and windows shut. Do not
leave car running while going back inside their home.

Keep eye on empty houses or houses for rent. In the South side there have been instances in which juveniles broke
into empty houses and threw parties. They arrested one juvenile with a stolen
car that was used for highjacking. Social media is a source of information that
lets people know when a house is unoccupied. So it is important to keep eyes
open for suspicious activities in empty properties.

On another note, there have been reports of Sheriff department imposters. They tell people that they are under
warrant and they ask for money or gift cards. Hackers can use technology to
call and their number looks like a legit government telephone number. There
have also been reports from people who receive telephone scams from Mexico. Use
a secret word with your family to identify yourselves to avoid a scam phone
call.  Remove personal information that you don’t want to share in Google.

There was a break in Norris. The use of surveillance systems has been useful to protect homes or to identify
burglars. Is important to know your neighbors and look after each other. In
case of break ins, try to preserve the crime scene intact so that police can
retrieve evidence such as fingerprints and DNA samples that can be used later
to apprehend criminals.

Non-emergency reporting can be done by calling or visiting any police substation listed below between
8:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. 

Tucson Police Department Main Station 270 South Stone Avenue 520-791-4444 (all year)

Operations Division West 1310 West Miracle Mile Road, Tucson, Arizona 85705

Lobby Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.  7 days a week (excluding holidays) 520-791-4467

Operations Division Midtown 1100 South Alvernon Way, Tucson, Arizona 85711

Lobby Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.  7 days a week (excluding holidays) 520-791-4253

Central Segment Safety is June 25th. This is a meeting that happens monthly. Police officer will discuss and answer questions about how to protect your home and what to do if you have been victimized. Stolen items can be search at Foundrop.com. It is important to register the serial number of possessions and have photographs of other items in order to locate them.

Historical Status: No updates. Brian will contact Jody Brown from the Historical Preservation Office.

Culinary Dropout parking lot expansion: Cathy Rex attended the April meeting and reported that they are expanding their parking area to the east of their current lot. On May 15th they rezoned the area for parking only, it won’t be use for commercial use.

Fence on Olsen and Glenn:  There was a complaint about the fence, but it has been approved. However Cathy Rex did more research about the fence and has reopened the case because it is a violation due to the impairing the view incoming traffic on Glenn. The case may be reopened. The inspector and reviewer were lax when approving the fence.

The Linear Park Steering Committee is comprised of neighborhood representatives and city council. During their meetings they discuss projects and what will happen during the Grant Road construction. Monthly meetings: GRANT ROAD COALITION – ​Central Segments Meeting Schedule 4th Tuesdays of the month 5:30 pm  * WARD 3 Office * ​1510 E Grant Road

New Business:

Self-taxing districts is a proposed policy being considered by the city council. This policy would allow neighborhoods to self-tax and use the money to improve streets. Paul Durham will attend the next neighborhood meeting (July 22nd) to talk about this policy. Vicki will send an email with an article that talks about this proposal for neighbors to read about and bring questions to the July meeting.

Brush and Bulky:  Week of July 15th. Neighbors can request support to clean alley by alerting the city in advance of the clean up. The city has been working in cleaning some alleys due to installation of fiber optic in Wilson and Plumer.

Neighborhood Picnic: will happen in November. There needs to be a committee. We also need a grill and way to transport it to the park. More discussion will take place in the August neighborhood meeting.

Miscellaneous:

            The neighborhood used to have a Garden Club and the idea of participating in a community garden to share a plot was brought up. Need to find out if people are interested and more about the locations of community gardens. Cathy Rex will organize a prickly pear fruit-harvesting event soon; expect an email with more details.

            The bathroom at Conner Park needs paint and patching of holes inside and outside. Parks and Rec will be informed but they have a backlog of work. In addition the grass at the park does not look good. Neighbor in attendance shared that the grass is been watered regularly.

            This will be the procedure to announce our monthly meeting: Brian will develop an agenda and send it out a week before the meeting, asking for additional agenda items. Cindy will send an email reminder. Brian (or someone designated by Brian) will get the key to access the Ward III meeting room.

            Chris Janton announced that Ken Tower has repaired our little libraries. There was an email to request children books. The little library at Conner Park needs books for children. Sue (don’t know last name) and Robert Mitchell take care of little libraries. Bookmans and Friends of the Library can provide free books for our libraries.

            Kris Teran is managing the new homeowners packets.  The newsletter has not been updated and therefore it will be removed from the packets. Kris  has distributed some packets to new neighbors or to neighborhood representative who have requested them.

Next Neighborhood meeting – 6:00 P.M. July 22th, 2019 – Ward 3 Office

 

 

CGNE Neighborhood Association Meeting April 22, 2019

Campbell-Grant
NE Neighborhood Association Meeting

April 22,
2019, Ward III office

 

Attendance: James Croxen, Chris Janton, Cindy Sorrensen, Sally Rein’l-Bautista, Mark Rein’l-Bautista, Robert Mitchell, Vicki Mills, Jim Sauer, Ana Maria Lopez Medrano, Brian Silverstein.

Announcements: 

Our meetings are the 4th Monday of the month, usually this is the last Monday of the month as well, but not always.  Our meetings are on the calendar on our website, as our the meeting minutes, at: https://www.cgne-tucson.org/

Brian received a letter in the mail from Culinary Dropout
explaining that they are expanding their parking area to the east of their
current lot. The letter announced a meeting on this topic for those interested
at the Dropout on Monday, April 29 at 5:30.

The Ward III Shred-it Event was the past Saturday.

Old Business:

Update on
formation of committees – Cindy Sorrensen

·      
Cindy sent out emails about the possible
formation of two new committees – one to explore changing the name of the
neighborhood and one to explore historic designation for the neighborhood.  She received two responses about the name change – Brian and Sally, who were both at the meeting.  They can decide if they want to pursue this idea. There is a financial and time burden for changing our name that will involve changing boundaries signs, printed materials, bank account names, etc. 

·      
Cindy received no responses about the historic
status.

Historic
Status Designation – Update

·      
There are different categories in which the
neighborhood could qualify; our neighborhood needs to identify which category
is viable for us.

·      
The Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) is
an entity that provides grants to help to apply for historic status. There may
not be grants available.

·      
More than 50% if the properties in the defined
neighborhood area should qualify for historic status. The area does not have to
be the whole neighborhood.

·      
If the neighborhood wants to pursue a
preliminary assessment, we should contact Jody Brown from the Historic Preservation
Office to visit our neighborhood. Another option is to look for advice from
Tucson Historic Preservation Foundation.

·      
It is a lot of work to pursue historic status
and probably not possible without professional help.   It will involve money and time from neighbors.  There seems to be little interest in this in the neighborhood.

Treasurer
Report – Vicki Mills

·      
The balance in the bank is $1,541.82.

·      
A reminder about voluntary dues will be send
several times during the year. Members of the neighborhood can pay dues during
picnic or any other time. Dues are a yearly donation to pay for neighborhood
events.

New Business:

Donation to Lend A Hand — Vicki Mills made a motion for our
neighborhood association to make a donation of $100.00 to Lend a Hand. All
members approved the donation.

Changing Meeting Frequency — There was a discussion about how often we should meet – monthly, bi-monthly, or quarterly.  We decided to continue to meet monthly, with reminders about the meeting sent the week before.  However, the May meeting would be on Memorial Day, so our next scheduled meeting will be in June 24th at 6pm at Ward III office.

Miscellaneous:

Grant Road Expansion: They meet the 4th Tuesday of the month at the Ward III office.

Transportation Improvement – Public meeting in May

Minutes
by Ana Maria Lopez Medrano, Secretary

 

Minutes – Campbell Grant Annual Neighborhood Meeting – February 25, 2019

Campbell Grant Annual
Neighborhood Meeting – February 25th, 2019

 

In Attendance – Brian Silverstein, Cindy Sorrensen, Robert
Mitchell, Vicki Mills, Ana Lopez Medrano, Kris Teran, Chris Janton, Margo
Geddis, Michael Geddis

 Guest: Matt Kopec (Ward 3)

 Approved minutes from January 26th 2019 meeting

 Review agenda

 Treasurer Report Balance as of 1/26/2019 was $1,450.52. There were $129.59 expenses for the Valentine’s Breakfast. The new balance as of 2/25/2019 is $1,320.93. There has not been any money coming in from the neighborhood dues. Neighbors can pay their dues by PayPal using the neighborhood page. Dues are a recommended donation of $15 annually. A reminder to pay dues will be sent through the neighborhood email and the newsletter soon. Neighbors pay dues on a yearly basis voluntarily. Usually people pay during the neighborhood picnic, but they can pay any time.

 Update on streetwalker and
package for New Neighbors.
The New Neighbor letter is finished and has been added to the New Neighbor packet. Street representatives will distribute New Neighbor packets and door hangers that contain useful email contacts for inquiries about the neighborhood. Kris asks neighbors to contact her if they live near a house for rent, for sale or in which a new resident just moved in, so that she can provide the info to the street representative or deliver the packet herself.

 Newsletter update: We need to update the Newsletter on the webpage. Newsletter will be published quarterly.

 Valentine pancake breakfast
update:
Between 15 to 20 people attended the event. The plan is to hold the Valentine Pancake breakfast every year.

 Spring activities in the
planning:
A roll off container will be reserved in April for neighborhood disposal of big items or yard material. Brian will contact the city to arrange for it. Some neighbors talked about using goats to do alley clean up. Neighbors that share alley could share the fees if they want to use that service. 
There will be no picnic during the spring this year. The
neighborhood will continue with the fall picnic that happens during the month
of November.

Historical Neighborhood Status: There needs to be a committee to explore eligibility, draw boundaries and find out costs. The Historical Preservation Office can provide information about the cost and process to became a Historical neighborhood. A suggestion is to invite Jodie Brown for a walk of the neighborhood to explore the possibilities. Email Brian if interested in historical status committee.

The neighborhood also needs representatives for the following
committees: a) Linear park beautification, b) Safety, and c) Name changing
committee.

 

New Business:

There is a eucalyptus tree with dying branches in Conner Park that
seems dangerous. Some neighbors have called and the tree is in the list to be
cut. Park services are behind in responding to calls, but it will happen.

Some neighbors have complained about college age people using the
baseball area designated to kids under – 12 and hitting baseballs hard. There
needs to be new signs in that area to avoid these issues.

Cindy will send an email to ask for volunteers for the Name Changing
committee. Changing the name has costs attached that need to be discussed and
considered.

Michael Geddis volunteered to distribute door hangers. We need more
neighbors on the email list.

Ward 3 Representative: Neighbors had called to complain about the
tall fence in the corner property of Glenn and Olsen. They said is a problem
for drivers because it blocks their view of incoming traffic. Matt Kopec said
he would look into it.

The water line on Copper is under repair as of February 25th 2019.

 

Meetings are the 4th Monday of the month. Next meeting March 25th.

Meeting Minutes for August 2018

CGNE Meeting
8/27/18 at 6 PM. Ward 3 Office

Minutes

In attendance:  Bill, Jana, Chris, Colleen, Steve, Vicki, Robert, Sunshine, Matt, Cindy, Beverly

Special Guests:  Joe Gradias, Tucson Police Department, Carlos de Latorre, City of Tucson

Review of Minutes

Treasurer’s Report

Revenue – $100 dues and donations
Expenses – 0
Balance as of 8/27/18       $1,205.76

Environmental Services – Carlos de Latorre
Enhanced Brush and Bulky Program – want to stop the door hangers, replaced by a letter that tells the brush and bulky dates for the year, you can still call or check map online.  They are trying to promote an app for your phones.  More info at tucsonaz.gov/esd
They are trying to get together with Tucson Dept. of Transportation, code enforcement and graffiti .

Sweetwater facility open on Friday from 8-2:30 for hazardous waste.  Other locations can be found on the website

791-3171 tucsonaz.gov/neat-neighbor to pick up illegal dumping within 24 hours

Six ways to be a good neighbor handout
Trim Weeds and grass below 6”, keep your half of the alley and easement clean
Limit or screen outside storage – limit storage to 25% of your total lot
Store and screen junk vehicles, must be stored in a garage/carport, be behind a legal barrier or covered by a vehicle cover designed to cover the car
Trim encroaching plants
Stop illegal dumping
Clean up with brush and bulky

Free Library needs kids books – we are ordering a dog poop-bag holder for the little library on Plumer so hopefully people will clean up after their dogs

Door Hangers – going out the end of September,  Bill will print them up and get them to the streetwalkers

October – Declutter month, CGNE will provide prizes for the declutter bingo game that will be sent out in late September along with all the rules for the month.

November 3rd – Sabuku T-shirt sale and craft fair –  if you are an artisan that is interested in being in this event let me know.  Colleen 577-4543.  This venue gets a large turnout, and has been getting bigger each year.  It will be held at the International School.

Picnic in the Park / Friendsgiving  Nov. 11th, Sunday in the Park from 11-1  /. CGNE will provide the Turkey, gravy and stuffing.  The rest will be potluck.

Caroling in the park, December 15th – Bill will talk to Greg to see if he can play the guitar for the event

Christmas Bazaar – December 1st at Ward 3.  We are looking for venders from the neighborhood and nearby.  We have a couple of other neighborhoods that will be doing this event with us.

Wilson wash – get someone to be in charge of calling and a pick up committee.  Bill talked to Matt Kopec about making sure that the wash is on the list to be mowed.

Dog/cat Accessory Swap or Flea Market – September 29th, Saturday, 8:30 am
Bring your old pet toys, collars, leashes, crates, dog bowls etc.to sale, trade or give away.
There will be a dog trainer and dog sitter there.  Custom dog biscuits for sale.
Free coffee and donuts

TPD Ofcr. Joe Gradias has a monthly opportunity to learn about Dog Walkers Watch.

Sunshine Turner came from Devereux to talk about the facility on Norris and Spring, she is writing an article for the newsletter

 

We need several volunteers to do small jobs:

Techno person for layout of door hangers, city newsletter

Social Media person – to post events

Poster makers – to advertise events

Wilson wash – to call Tucson Dept of Transportation when the wash needs to be mowed

City stuff – Grant road coalition

Help write newsletter – write articles for the paper, or help in general

Little libraries – need revamping, sanding and painting

Roll Off – Environmental Services – call twice a year to arrange the roll offs

Minutes – Annual Meeting – CGNE – 2017

Minutes of CGNE Meeting
11/16/2017

The meeting opened with the treasurer’s report, which reflects a bank balance of $1082.53. There was some discussion about how keeping track of donation amounts, sources and dates might help officers to determine the most efficacious fund raisers etc. Colleen reported that Elizabeth is going to work on a data base to track these factors.

A report on the Little Free Libraries revealed that there is a shortage of children’s books so all are expected to look for resources.

Gardening Club report was that a meeting is scheduled November 20th and there is some thought about a Garden Tour perhaps in February.

The Neighborhood Cleanup went well with one right of way cleared entirely and another partially. There was discussion of doing another cleanup, but having a lottery for where to clear based on property owner participation, or donation.
Brush and bulky is scheduled 1/8/18 and 7/2/18.

Wilson Wash is being regularly picked up and Steve reported that he is going to find time to pursue the Dept of Transportation about a footbridge.

A review of the winter picnic was a unanimous success with more people attending and some donations received, even one of $100!

Holiday activities scheduled for CGNE include; Walking caroling (near Bill and Jana’s) on Dec 2 at about 5:30pm, Caroling in the Conner Park on Dec 9 6:00pm-8pm), Holiday Bazar on Dec 10 (10am-12pm) on 2004 Spring St., Pot Luck on Dec 16 at Bill and Jana’s.

Elections

President – Bill Halvorson
Vice President – Steve Collen
Recording Secretary – Elizabeth Nielsen
Corresponding Secretary – Chris Janton
Treasurer – Jana Guyman