Minutes: Campbell-Grant NE Neighborhood Association Meeting – August 26, 2019, Ward III office

Campbell-Grant
NE Neighborhood Association Meeting

August 26,
2019, Ward III office

 

Attendance:  Brian Silverstein, Cindy Sorrensen, Chris Janton, Ana Maria Lopez Medrano, Vicki Mills, Robert Mitchell, Cathy Rex, Tom Rex, James Croxen, Kris Teran, Humberto Teran, Leilani Bew, Yvonne Windham, Rene R. Simmers, Andrew Messer, Regina Lundhug, Beverly Rutter, Jessica Lansdon kukolich, Connie Trecartin, Tom Spencer, and Linda Spencer.

Guests:  Nathan Ares, owner Prep & Pastry Restaurant; Paul Durham, Ward III Councilperson

Prep & Pastry
Parking Issues —

Nate is very aware
of the parking problems in the neighborhood caused by Prep & Pastry and he
very much wants to be a good neighbor and to work with the neighborhood to find
solutions to the problems.  He is trying to work with the city and other neighborhood businesses to find ways to lessen the parking and traffic problems.  He has already met with some of the neighbors. 
He is trying to contact Jesse Soto, the City’s Transportation Project Manager, to see what kinds of traffic control can be used to help the problems – things that were mentioned were: painting curbs for no-parking areas,  speed humps, traffic circles and/or 4 way stops in the parts of the neighborhood close to Prep & Pastry, where cars are parking and traffic is cutting through the neighborhood (Mitchell, Norris and Conner Stravenue area).  There was already a problem with cars cutting through that part of the neighborhood to avoid the light at Glenn and Campbell and P&P traffic has only made that problem worse. Nate is also asking businesses around his restaurant for use of their parking on weekends for his employees and for customers.  He had counted on the use of parking spaces from Adobe Antiques, but they have refused. 
However, they are moving out and Grey House Antiques is hoping to move into that space and they will share their parking with P&P. 

Nate has paid
someone to watch the parking and have people move if they are parking too close
to corners or driveways.  Other ideas that were brought up were an incentive program for customers who bike, bus or walk and a sign in the lobby of restaurant about being considerate parkers.  Nate also felt that when Snooze, the new breakfast restaurant being built at Tucson and Grant, opened, it would siphon off some of his customers. 

Questions and Answers – Paul Durham —

* Neighbors asked if
there are funds available to paint existing speed humps. Paul asked them to
call his office to request this.

* Wilson Wash issues: Weeds are overgrown and Kris Teran had
called the Brush and Bulky and then the  Street Department several times about mowing the wash (Phone number 791-3154). The Street Department opened a request to clean the Wilson Wash (#12308). Neighbors can call again to remind them to clean up the Wash. Paul asked Brian to call his office with the request number for him to follow up. {Apparently something worked because the wash has been trimmed and mowed since this meeting. Thanks to Kris for her persistence on getting the wash mowed.}

Andy Laurenzi will be meeting with someone from the City of Tucson transportation department at the wash to explore
what are the options for ways to make it safer and more attractive. Andy
couldn’t come to the neighborhood meeting, but he will arrange the tour of the
wash and let neighbors know when it is. 
He will also report back on the email list.

*Conner Park:  Neighbors are concerned about homeless staying all day at Conner Park. There is the fear that families will stay away from the park, because of too many homeless being there. Paul shared the different strategies the city is using to support homeless in Tucson. Police follow the Homeless Protocol, which is checking on homeless in parks, seeing if they need services and/or housing and often moving them out of a park. However, the issue of the homeless is a complicated and city-wide one.  He will ask for additional attention for Conner Park.  There is a Park Safety Program with pairs of officers who go to public parks to provide more police presence to make people feel safer and to check the homeless. The City of Tucson has shifted its emphasis to Low Barrier Housing, which provides housing to homeless and then help them solve other issues, such as addiction problems, etc. All Pueblo Community Services provide services for homeless.

Neighbors were encouraged to use the park regularly to make
it less appealing to homeless to stay all day. 

* Neighbor asked Paul assistance with an issue at the Donna
R Liggins Recreation Center. The air conditioning was not working and there is
a need to change the location of a bench within the center so seniors could
easily use it, but the manager has refused to make the change.

Treasurer Report –
Vicki Mills

Balance as of last meeting, 7/22/19 $1,499.00 + Dues and
donations (checks and cash) $110.00 – Expenses (check to Vicki Mills for
refreshments for July meeting) $6.99 = Balance as of 8/25/19 $1,602.01

Minutes from July
2019 meeting were approved.

TEP sponsored FREE
workshop –

* We need at least 20 people willing to participate in a
free 90-minute workshop provided by TEP on Home Energy Efficiency. Participant
will receive a free Energy Efficiency Kit. We will look into trying to hold this
workshop, will send flyer with information to the neighborhood.

 

Minutes submitted by Ana Maria Lopez Medrano, secretary

 

 

 

Leave a Reply